Saturday, November 10, 2012

Heil Heitler!

   Now before half of you freak out like 'OMG RACIST' and the other half of grammar and spelling Nazis (see what I did there?) point out that I spelt Hitler wrong, let me say that this post has nothing to do in anyway with the the lunatic who wiped out six million people in torturous and barbaric ways through his cruelty and insanity.
   The Heitler I'm talking about was a German physicist who discovered valence bonding, and the reason I'm heiling him, is because he's a freaking genius and I'm a science student. Also, while we're at it, Heil Einstein, Newton, Edison and Max Planck. If it was up to me everyone on Earth would begin every day by prostrating themselves before your giant statues that would be placed on every street corner, and sometimes in the middle of the street as well, although that might hamper traffic.
   I love Science. I really do. The Commerce and Humanities kids might have less work, and hey, the nerd jokes are funny, and their threats of eventually ending up as our bosses might actually have some horrifying truth in them, but we're learning about the freaking universe every day. We could tell you amazing things, like the fact that we're made of star dust, that equal volumes of gases contain equal numbers of molecules (this continuously blows my mind) and that our tiny specky planet, our all-powerful sun even, are actually just dots on the fabric of space, but ultimately part of  this awe-inspiring place, this universe, that we call home.
   The things I learn never fail to amaze me. I just wish we could take all our politicians, all the dons in our cities, all the people who squabble over land and money and social positions, and show them how small we are and how little these things actually matter. Screw Lamborghinis and beach-front homes, give me a telescope and I'll introduce you to things that will make you thank God on bended knees that we are privileged enough, not only to exist in such an amazing world, but to have the capacity to understand its beauty. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself and every little thing we learn brings us closer to something wonderful.
   Nerd on, sweet geeks, nerd on.

No comments:

Post a Comment