Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Of Crackers and Chicken

   There is a curious freedom in knowing that absolutely no one reads the crap you put up and hence you have permission to write whatever you want. I used to keep a biiig mainstream blog with regular updates and READERS (oh, readers, how I miss you guys. Kind of). And I tried to post every day to make them happy and my posts had to be funny and creative and it was just a lot of work. This blog is MY thing that I'm doing for myself, so it's pretty relaxed up in here. That being said, it is slightly depressing to log in and see the differences in the stats of the blogs.
  It is Diwali right now over here, which is the Indian festival of lights. There's a nice story behind it- basically the exiled King Ram's wife, Sita, was kidnapped by the ten-headed (or was it thousand-headed? I never remember this bit) demon Ravan, but then Ram, and the monkey god Hanuman, save Sita, behead Ravan (several times) and then triumphantly end their exile and return to their royal city. Woohoo! To celebrate the return of the king (if you have heard that phrase before, you are awesome) the citizens of the city lit it up with diyas, which are very small, very pretty lamps. We Indians continue to celebrate Ravan's beheadings today by lighting diyas in our own houses on Diwali, and basically bursting a lot of patakas. It's kind of an inter-religious thing, which is awesome, although that's pretty much how we celebrate most festivals in Bangalore.
   Generally I find it lots of fun, but this year my neighbours have decided to pick five a.m. in the morning as their cracker-jacking time, which is not as enjoyable as it might sound. It is not the Indian way to complain about inconveniences, and they are also our landlords, which is basically the only thing preventing me from throwing gas cylinders and stuff at them.
   Today has been fun so far. To get away from the clouds of pollution and dust that engulf the used-pataka covered streets my family went to Cubbon Park, which is a lovely green place near the High Court of Karnataka for some exercise and then to KFC to work off the exercise. I am supposed to be studying for my tests, but for some reason I can't  bring myself to do it, which is pretty much the reason my grades have fallen so badly this year. I'm not sure what I'm doing with my life anymore.
  On that cheerful note, goodbye! Be kind to one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment